16 August, 2007

Trekkin' Too

In June, I posted about a little caching trip we made: Trekkin'... We went for a drive and did some geocaching. There was one hide that I didn't get to because I freaked out. I decided (after I'd reached the bottom and calmed some) that I would go back another time to sign my name to the log. Well, I went back on Sunday.

The weather was great, so we decided to get out of the house for a while. I told Greg where I wanted to go, so we headed out. Started with a relatively easy find - with a nice view of the inlet. A confidence booster, if you will.
Inlet View


The next stop was the hike I'd failed at before. The first part is relatively simple, and you've got a buffer of trees between you and the... drop. We crossed a little stream a saw the red roots of the moss growing above the water.
Moss Roots


After crossing the stream, we came to the hard part (for me). Crossing lots of loose rocks on a relatively steep slope and no trees to stop me if I lose control. I had to stop a couple times and refocus my mind - away from the visions of sliding helplessly down the slope, falling over the edge, and being smashed by oncoming traffic. Greg was very patient and helpful - and I made it across!! We descended from a different direction, so I only had to cross the skree once - whew!

The Crossing

The view from the top was spectacular! And the sense of accomplishment was a soothing balm for the failure of the past. "My Own Private Idaho" is the name of the cache - I signed the log with shaky fingers, but it's my writing on the page. Someone took some time & effort to build a teepee-like structure at the top of the area. You can tell that people come here sometimes and have fires. If I didn't have to make that climb again - and possibly in the dark - I'd go up there with a group of friends and have a nice get-together. But there's the climb up... Oh well.

The Teepee with a View
My View from the Top
Todd's June View


From there, we did a bit more caching then headed home for dinner. Saw some nice vistas, did some more climbing, and generally enjoyed the good weather and being out-and-about. A nice end and beginning of the week(s). =)

Rock Flowers
Small Waterfall
Seeing the Water thru the Trees
Picture in Picture

No comments: