22 September, 2014

Visiting Valdez

Instead of doing any brewing over the weekend, we went to visit Sara in Valdez.  I normally make it there a couple times each summer.  It's a nice change of pace, a beautiful drive, and a distraction from the daily grind.

(Note: I've come to the realization that I *suck* at documenting through photography.  This trip was filled with lots of people and beautiful scenery, and I captured a minute amount of it.  No pics of the three sisters, none of the cousins, none - or rather, ONE - of the friends that also made the trip. Sigh.)

Leaving after work on Friday means that arrival time in Valdez is the wee hours of the morning.  Fortunately for us, Sara is always willing to let us wake her up so she can show us to the rooms we get to use while we're there.  It's lucky that we can stay at the cannery.  If not for that, I wouldn't be able to come visit.
Valdez isn't large.  And it hasn't changed much over the years - at least not enough for a casual, two-times-a-year, weekend visitor to notice.  Since I've seen Horse Tail Falls and Bridal Veil Falls multiple times - every time I go, I stop to look - I suppose I didn't think about taking a new picture.  And I've been down the mine road several times, so I didn't take a new picture with my car in the creek as we crossed over (the bridge washed out a few years ago, but the creek is shallow enough that the brave-of-heart - and vehicles with enough ground clearance - can make it across).  But I saw two waterfalls that I haven't noticed before, and we watched seals in the water.  No bear viewings this time.
On Sunday morning, we woke to fog thicker than pea soup, and received a tour of the fish processing plant.  The season's over, so it's all shut down and almost eerily quiet.  It was really interesting, and pretty cool since I hadn't ever been any farther inside than the main office.
When we came out of the plant, the fog was starting to lift.  For all the times I've been to Valdez, it's rarely sunny.  But those few times are precious, because the scenery is absolutely stunning.  I'm glad that we were able to enjoy some sun before the long journey back home.
Jeannea and I took a little side trip on the way home - a little off-roading with the car.  Because it was sunny the view was awesome; however, the wind was blowing so hard that I was afraid it'd rip my phone right out of my hands (and it was a chilly wind).  My pictures aren't the greatest because I was shivery and fighting the wind for balance.
As we got closer to home, clouds moved in and the sunshine evaporated, but the end of our trip was blessed with a rainbow.  An excellent finish to a wonderful weekend!

No comments: