30 May, 2011

First Campout of the Season

I didn't realize how much I'd been looking forward to this campout until Greg couldn't find spots for us.  The campground we originally wanted to stay at is closed for the season - beetle killed trees that they're cleaning up, or something like that.  So he headed north instead, looking for our weekend homestead.  Two campgrounds later, and he called me to let me know that nothing's open... Maybe we can camp in the back yard?  No way.  If we're not camping, I'm not going to drag out all our gear just to set it up in the backyard.  So he headed south, and eventually found us spots at Bertha Creek Campground.
 
Initially I wanted to be a bit closer to town, since I was staying the night then driving back in to Anchorage so I could work on Friday.  (I didn't take Friday off, and I was worried - what with the long weekend and the nice weather - that we wouldn't be able to find a site, even on Thursday night...  seems like other people maybe had the same idea.)  Looks like the mother of necessity breeds willingness to camp farther afield (isn't that how the saying goes?).  So we ended up at Bertha Creek.  It's south of Anchorage, but significantly higher elevation.  There was still snow, and the leaves hadn't opened from buds yet.
 
But it was a site to put up tents and get a fire going - yay!  I didn't even mind having to get up super-early so I could drive home to take a shower and get in to work at a decent time.  I don't know how people commute for and hour or more one way.  That's so much time that I could use for so many other things: sleeping, reading, blogging, relaxing at home, sleeping...
 
It was such a lovely weekend!  I love sitting around the campfire, relaxing and visiting with friends and family.  I even tried a new flavor combination: peanut butter, strawberry jam, and bacon.  Bacon really does make everything taste better!
I'm looking forward to this summer and the other camping trips we have planned.  *Fingers crossed* that the weather this summer is better than last year - less rain, more sun, and plenty of big fires!!

No comments: