20 March, 2011

Spring Saunter

We still have ice on the roads, a couple feet of snow on the ground, and a chance for more frozen precipitation - according to the weather forecast I just watched.  So it'll be a few more weeks until we get the growing things.  But... we're in the melting phase!!
This weekend was absolutely gorgeous!  We decided that we needed to get out and enjoy the weather, so we took a drive.  All the sunshine makes me think of afternoon bike rides and camping, green leaves and flowers, barbecuing on the deck...  In short, it makes me anxious for summer.  Greg's been for a couple hikes in the snow, but I'm not that adventurous.  I'm waiting for the snow to melt and the ground to dry up a bit before I wander forth into the wilderness.  That way, the worst I have to look forward to are the mosquitoes and the bears.  I take plenty of bug dope with me for the former, and hope there's someone that runs slower than me (or that I can trip) for the latter.
On Sunday, after an early morning hike (for Greg - some sleeping in for me), we went back to Kriner's Diner for breakfast.  As promised, I ordered the cinnamon roll (almost as big as my head) and a side of bacon.  I'm not sure what Greg ordered, but he liked it (and it had a pancake, among other things).
I tried really hard to eat the whole thing, but I just couldn't do it.  So the leftovers became dessert for after dinner.  I did not suffer a sugar coma (I think that's because the bacon took the edge off), and I'm pleased to announce that Kriner's Diner cooks crispy bacon well (not over- or under-done).  Next time we go for breakfast I'll look for healthier fare, but I just couldn't pass on such a treat.

No comments: