16 January, 2011

Jack Frost

This past week has seen several days with the highs in the single digits (and Anchorage has been warmer than lots of other places in the state).  I recently noticed that we're growing ice crystals (hoar frost) on the railing of the deck.  They're pretty impressive - in size, and also that it's been that cold for that long so that these have formed.  I took the pictures below using the macro function on my little point-and-shoot camera.
 
 
The forecast for the next few days is more of the same.  If I can just suck it up, this will pass.  Soon we'll be to February, where the growing daylight is much more noticeable, and temperatures start easing up the scale...

1 comment:

Angie Di said...

That is pretty Cool frost! Yes,the pun is intended. I haven't seen anything like that.

hang in there Penny. The spring always comes.

Angie