26 December, 2010

Christmas

It's here already!  It's hard to believe that I've run out of time again.  Last minute wrapping finally done Christmas Eve.  At least I wasn't doing last minute shopping then too.  We got most of our packages out in time to arrive... close to Christmas...  I still have one package to ship and the Christmas letters to mail.  (I'm sorry this is late, Grandma and Dad, but I wanted to include the most recent postings from my blog for you to enjoy.)

After a rough day at work (a half day, and Christmas Eve! - you'd think it would've been one of the easiest days of the year, but no...), I made it home to relaxing Christmas music, the lighted tree, some eggnog, and the Wrapping Center.  For those folks that get their presents wrapped last, I have to apologize.  I always get a little more sloppy with the bows and ribbons.  Some may only get bows, and where I can, I double up the presents and use one ribbon on two gifts (books work well for this).  In the beginning, it's always fun.  Towards the end, it's a race against the looming deadline (and my aching back).

Presents wrapped and under the tree, pickle ornaments hidden, now it's time to play games and really relax.  Greg's mom spent Christmas Eve with us, chatting, eating, and playing cards.  I over-indulged in the Macadamia Nut Brittle my friend Stacy made just for me.  Oh, sweet goodness!!  (And don't forget the sugar high...)
Christmas Day was one of the most relaxing I can remember.  It was a lazy morning, and part-way through unwrapping presents, Greg and I took a break to cook some breakfast (brunch, by that time).  More unwrapping, plenty of chatting, and then it's time to get together for dinner and games with friends who are family.
I keep hearing people say that Christmas is really just for the kids anyway... but I don't think I entirely agree.  Sure, kids bring an element of wonder to the whole event (and later greediness and stress - it's just their nature - then eventually the realization that it's about the giving not the receiving, and by then they're well on their way to adulthood).  But even without kids of my own, this whole Christmas season has been overfull of things that make me happy.  Spending time with friends; listening to our Christmas music; enjoying the lights and decorations; even the shopping and wrapping.
A truly splendid month-long celebration of gift-giving and joy.  Did I get everything I wanted for Christmas?  Yes.  A reminder of love and support from my husband and friends; an acknowledgment of the gifts and truths given by Christ; laughter and fresh-baked goodies (as a receiver instead of a giver this year - next year I'll get back to some baking); pleasure in the happiness of those around me.  I hope your Christmas was as lovely as mine.

No comments: