25 November, 2010

I'm Thankful

Thanksgiving was a low-key, laid back affair for us this year.  Greg cooked breakfast while we watched the Macy's parade; talked to family; read the paper.  For dinner, we picked up a pre-done chicken breast stuffed with ham, bacon, and cheese (mmmmmmm, bacon!).  Cooked that up and had green beans and salad - tasty and no mess.  And after dinner we shoveled more than a foot of wet, heavy snow that had accumulated throughout the day, then went to visit friends for a bit.
Greg even pulled out the Christmas decorations - but I refused to put them up today (except for the door wreath), since I don't want to mix holidays.  I wasn't sure we were going to decorate this year, since the entryway to the storage was blocked and it's so much work to get everything done, only to take it all down again in a few weeks.  But I find that now I'm excited to have the Christmas music playing and get our house decked out for Christmas.  (We'll be breaking out the eggnog Sunday for the tree decorating party!!)  It will definitely be worth the effort!
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am posting five things that I am thankful for:

1. My job.  This last year has been particularly tough and busy, but I made it through with a little help from my friends and family.  I am glad to have a job that has good benefits and is relatively stable (if I can get past the office politics and keep sane).

2. My family.  We recently took a trip Outside to see family.  It was extremely rewarding and rejuvenating for me.  I love my family, and these new memories we made are like a warming fire - a homing beacon, if you will - that will help get me through the dark, cold days.

3. My husband (although he counts in the family section too, he deserves special mention). Greg is full of enthusiasm for everything.  And when I need something special, he figures out how to give it to me.  He worked hard to help remodel my mom's house, and spent his vacation traveling with me to various locations to see my family and friends.  He's supportive of any endeavor I choose to pursue.

4. My friends.  I consider my close friends as family, since I'm so far from my own.  They offer love and support, interspersed with fun and laughter.

5. My freedom.  There are those that have paid dearly for the freedoms that I enjoy today.  I appreciate my ability to speak freely and have the means to protect myself, should the need arise.  And I'm grateful for those that have given so much so that I can enjoy these benefits.
May your holidays be filled with laughter and peace, and may you be held tight in the arms of those you love.

No comments: