18 August, 2010

Here Comes the Sun (da da da da dah)

Enjoying the sun is now a newsworthy, momentous event.  After 30-some-odd days of overcast and rain, we had a really *lovely* day today.  Too bad I had to work.  It's times like these that I think it'd be worth it to get a schedule where I work all the crappy days (sometimes weeks on end), just so I can have ALL the nice days off.  I'll probably get that schedule right before they tell me they've decided I can work from home (doing anything and everything I please, including nothing) and be paid for it.  Oh, and by the way, you should sleep in until 10am every morning since we know you're a night owl and mornings just aren't your cup o' tea.  Feel free to work in your pajamas - even if it's just reading the latest novel you picked up at the bookstore - and here's a raise, since we know you've been working so hard...  Ahhhh, sweet dreams...

I've been missing the sun immensely.  I moped at home all weekend last weekend, just because there was a forecast for sun on Saturday, but that didn't happen.  (Okay, so someone told me that if you were up before noon, you got to see the sun for a bit, but that doesn't count.  Who can be up before noon when they went to the movies and then spent most of the rest of the night reading a book??  Y'all would've been sacked out right along-side me.)  I've been thinking that maybe I need to pick up some vitamin D to help combat my lack-of-sun-depression.
Today, the sun came out again.  It's like that time when you've done everything perfectly and the rest just falls into place for a lovely surprise (and you can almost hear a chorus in the background, singing praises).  It's the feeling you have when you're sitting around visiting with good friends and things couldn't be going better for you.  It's Tillamook Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream decadence.  It's winning the million dollar lottery.  And it's also the knowledge that you received a reprieve from going insane from all the dreariness and chopping up the neighbor's dog (or the neighbor) that was making all the racket the other night.  However you describe the feeling, it was wonderful!
To celebrate this recently uncommon event, we drove out to Turnagain Arm Pit for dinner.  We had great barbecue food, and got to sit on the deck enjoying the weather.  In the picture above, I look like I'm about to sneeze.  Not sure what was really happening, I just know you don't get an idea of how good the food is by that picture.  You don't see the perfectly cooked slab of bacon on my sandwich or the homemade barbecue sauces (I really like the mustard-based one); nor do you see the sides: fried okra, fried pickles, fried jalapenos (those were all for Greg), and sweet potato fries...  Oh goodness, what a treat!!
I certainly hope this isn't the last of the sun for the summer - but the dour-hearts on the radio keep saying that we're moving from that one system that gave us all the rain, right into our normally scheduled rainy season.  I'm going to enjoy what rays of sunshine fall my way with enthusiasm and abandon.  I'll post updates, as they happen...

No comments: