17 November, 2009

The Remodel Continues...

In order to move the walls, we have to move the power. In order to move the power, the carpet has to come up and we've got to cut into the "floor" (subfloor?) to route the wires to their new homes.

Did you know that when you take up carpet that's been down for a long time, it's almost like you've got your own sandbox underneath? I was amazed at how much sandy grit was underneath the pad. If it weren't so difficult to lay & pull carpet, I'd recommend changing it every other year or so (especially for those with allergies), or just get wood/laminate flooring. Oh yeah. We're working on that. =)

James was over to help this weekend - THANKS, JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - and blessed our remodel job with First Blood. Turns out, when you're on a ladder underneath the remains of the stud wall, those nails that're still there can be pokey. And draw blood. Thanks for the sacrifice (and again for the help!), James. I'm sure it will all go better because of you. =)


It also turns out that there's not all that much between the floor you're walking on and the room below. Basically, it's that layer of plywood, sitting on wood beams that have sheetrock tacked to the bottom side of them (which then becomes the ceiling of the room below). That's it. Since I'm rather clumsy, I could picture myself - all too well - stumbling, accidentally stepping into one of the holes in the floor, and ending up in the bedroom (or the garage). I'd either hit the bed - after rebounding off the headboard - or land on top of the freezer. Neither is appealing, so I stayed away from the holes.

And you should pay special attention here: When your husband cuts plywood in the kitchen (for any purpose really, but in this case to cover the gaping holes in the non-floor so I don't go crashing through to the freezer below), any dishes on the counter will need to be washed again. Or you'll have to realize that you're getting some extra fiber when you use them. Our silverware is on the countertop (that will be rectified with the new cabinetry - practically the end of the project). I've opted to get some extra fiber - or if it just looks too chunky for me, I'll wipe it off (probably on my shirt) before I use it. Looks like it's a good thing we're not doing any more entertaining until this whole deal is done, right?

And here's me sitting in the office (paying bills - bleh!). It's a contrast in styles (to say the least!) to see the still-carpeted. "normal" portion where I'm at, and the construction zone not one foot away. It'll probably be like that for most of the winter. But it'll be *great* when it's done... It'll be great when it's done!!

3 comments:

M said...

I hope James is up to date with his tetnus shots

Angie Di said...

what an adventure! I do not envy you and your home projects but I am sure it will look great when it is done. Good luck! Here's hoping first blood is the last blood.

Penny said...

@ M: James is indeed up-to-date on his tetanus shot. I believe Greg is also, which is good because he's also now donated some blood to the cause. Just a wee bit, but I expect there will be more in the future...

@ Angie Di: Hey there, Cousin! I'm hoping you & yours are doing well! You should start your own blog, so I can stop in and see how things are going... =)