26 November, 2009

Giving Thanks

It was a low-key day for us today. Didn't go visiting, didn't have company. I slept in. Greg did all the cooking - pies last night, breakfast, and later the stuffing filled turkey breast with some traditional sides. We watched some of the Macy's day parade, played Wii RockBand, and went to see a movie. I feel a little recharged - glad there's only Friday (should be a busy, but easy day) then the weekend. Next week is going to be a crazy one, so I'm glad I will have had some time to rest and get ready.

In the spirit of the day, I assigned myself a task to detail 5 things I'm thankful for and why. Here goes:

1. Greg. He brought me flowers yesterday, and did all the cooking today. Such simple things mean the world to me right now. They should mean the same always, but that's just not my reality. Right now, I'm stressed and prone to over-reaction. He's taking it in stride and above that, doing what he can to help me detox and be ready for more - which I need, more than I can say. He's a big support, and he does a pretty fine job of putting me back together when I fall apart. He believes I can do so much more than I believe I can, so sometimes I borrow some of that mojo and find out that I can do more than I thought. He's enthusiastic about life in general and new adventures in particular (my polar opposite, in that regard).
2. Family. The only thing that could have induced me to be social today would have been having any of my siblings around, particularly my sisters. I did get to talk to some of my family - it's hard to talk to everyone when that entails 4-6 different phone calls - and I thought of each of them. Sheri cooked, and Sara & Jeannea joined her; Dave & Mom spent the day together; Aaron, Mari, & baby Amy were together; I hope M was able to spend some time with family. It's comforting to think of them, even though it seems as if we're worlds (and small fortunes) apart.

3. Friends. Although I haven't been doing much in the way of visiting lately, I am thankful for the friends I have. They're smart, funny, caring people - each of them different by turn - and my life is better for having known them. They make me laugh; they give me strength; they listen to me vent; they offer advice but don't loathe me if I don't take it; they help me navigate the insanities of being alive.

4. Job. I do have a decent job. I've got medical benefits, some retirement, and it's relatively secure. Sure, it's super-stressful right now, and this next few weeks I may only get to see my husband as he's getting ready for work in the morning, or in the dark as he yelps when I put my iceblock feet against his hotter-than-the-furnaces-in-Hell legs. (I honestly don't know how he can use the same blankets as me and end up practically melting everything that directly touches him, and yet I can lay for hours waiting for the electric blanket - on the highest setting, and only on *my* side of the bed, since I don't want him to spontaneously burst into flames - to thaw through the invisible ice that's apparently crusted 'round my various extremities.) But I don't have to worry about how we're going to pay the bills and finding a new job in this tough economy. I'm grateful for the job I have right now.

5. Cheese (and bacon). I haven't had a cheese that I don't like yet. And we've tried lots of different varieties. Now, it's true that I'm not as fond of the cheeses with fruit in them (like that one with blueberries we had a while ago), but it was still good. I really like the one we had today - some form of white cheddar with crushed black pepper marbled throughout. Cheese on pizza, bleu cheese dressing, microwave nachos after a long day at work... Mmmm, cheese... and we all know that bacon makes everything better, so how could I leave that out?!?

I hope your day was filled with love & laughter, and you continue to have many, many things to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: