16 February, 2009

Status Update

It's hard to believe that it's mid-February already. It's noticeably lighter in the mornings & evenings - I get at least some dusk light for the trip home, altho it's still dark enough to need headlights. But it's one of my Portends of Spring. This is how it goes:
  1. December 21 - Winter Solstice marks the beginning of the return of light
  2. In February, the increasing amount of light becomes noticeable
  3. Seemingly related to the increased light, I expect temperatures to get start getting warmer
  4. March is Spring Equinox and eventually an end to snow (probably after a huge dump)
  5. April is dirty, but drying
  6. May is the start of green
I know it's going to be a while before everything warms significantly and even longer before things green up, but we're almost halfway through my Portends. Yay!

As for the rest of my update: We're still on Orange Alert for the volcano watch - but fewer & fewer people think it's really going to go. Scientists are still saying that based on it's current activity, it's may blow - but it also could subside. Way to cover the bases! We're off the hook at work - don't have to cover the equipment anymore. If the volcano erupts, we have people who are responsible for coming in and getting everything squared away. This saves lots of time - not only the time saved every morning & evening, but we've had lots of computer issues (slow boot up, problems with updates, computers dying, etc.) that are tapering off. Whew!

I've also been spending a lot of my free time on Facebook. I finally set up an account, and I've been customizing it and adding pictures. Haven't figured out how to link my Flickr account to it, but I've still got some learning yet. Yesterday, I took a break from my computer to do some shopping with my friend Jennifer and then take in the movie Taken (with Liam Neeson) - a *great* way to spend the evening! And today was spent in my pj's helping Greg to re-organize the miscellanea that has migrated into the office. I've enjoyed the three-day weekend, and am going to spend the evening watching Chuck & Heroes (and avoiding thinking of work - which will be here all too soon).
Sleeping Lady
with ice chunks in the inlet

(photo coutesy of Greg)

No comments: