07 June, 2008

Flower Shopping

Finally went shopping for flowers today. I think this is the latest I've gone ever!! I didn't expect there would be very much - after all, everyone else in their right mind has already gone at least once, probably more, so I'm going to be picking through the left-overs.

I picked up some friends and we made it an outing. We drove out to Forget-Me-Not Nursery in Indian. It's a little road trip, as Indian is about 20 miles south of Anchorage. The views of the inlet are always stunning - and today was no exception - but it's also a nice treat to go to the nursery. It's a local business, and the owners also make their home on the site. They put a lot of time and effort into the landscaping of the area, so in addition to buying pretty flowers you get to enjoy a smörgåsbord of greenery and blooming flowers.

Although I like taking my business to the locals, we also popped into one of the other nurseries in town to see if there was anything I just couldn't live without. I didn't really go looking with a "theme" in mind, or particular colors. I've seen some fabulous gardens, and it seems the really good ones all take that kind of thing into account. I have some whites, yellows & oranges, and pinks/purples. We'll see how things turn out as the summer progresses...

All-in-all, I came home with four flats of starters. I did find that I missed out on some great potentials, but overall I think I found some winners. Now I just need to get them in the pots and my flower bed...

No comments: