14 June, 2007

Memorial Weekend Campout - Part II

This has been a long time coming... I figured I'd better get on the ball, since I've already got ideas for new posts. =)

Side note from Part I: The memorial we stopped at is just after Byers Lake and it's called the Alaska Veterans Memorial. The memorial reads: "We dedicate this quiet place to the remembrance of the veterans of Alaska who have served their country at home and throughout the world. We honor their heroism and dedication." Hear, hear!!

Campout 2007 #1: Part 2 - Chatanika & Fairbanks

We were lucky to find two adjacent sites next to a river. The other sites around us were separated by trees, so it was like we had our own private space. And across the river was what looked like a moose - if the light was right and you had smoke in your eyes. =)

Looking up-river from our site

The "moose" across the river

We had lots of fun. Some went caching, some stuck around the campfire. One of the days, we all loaded up together. We started *that* day with a shower and breakfast, courtesy of Chatanika Lodge. Smelling much nicer, we headed into Fairbanks for a riverboat tour and a nice dinner. Another lovely afternoon where we caught lots of rays. We all enjoyed the boat ride - interesting information about Fairbanks, dog mushing, and Alaskan native life.

Paddle-wheel boat ride

The rest of the time we spent primarily at camp. Heather requested a coconut, which we cracked open, cleaned out, and refurbished as the camp mascot - Dr. Blah. It seems that coconut shells burn very well - our last fire was full off odd things like the mascot and Greg's shoes. Mmmmmm. Another interesting combination: red licorice on a ham & turkey sandwich (with dijon mustard - *not* yellow). I've been told it's very tasty, particularly the mustard & licorice combination. I'm still not brave enough to try it...

Our mascot - Dr. Blah

Ham, turkey, & licorice (with dijon)

Our last evening was filled with more caching (of course!), disc golf, killing Dr. Blah, and packing up some of the odds & ends so we could get an early start - the drive home taking around 7 hours or so. Good thing we packed early - we woke the next morning to rain and temps around 50. Brrrrrrrr!! It didn't take long to dismantle one tent and pack the rest of the gear. It was the last ride for the Green's tent - so we left it standing in the rain. Maybe it'll be a nice summer getaway for some other lucky family... The ride home was interrupted by a stop in Glitter Gulch (just outside Denali national park - according to the MilePost, it's Denali Park Commercial Area) so we could dine at Bub's Subs. Greg & I have eaten there before - when Mom & M came up and we went river rafting. Highly recommended!! And now Greg, Brian, & Todd have matching t-shirts. Awwww. =)

Packing in the rain

So ends the saga of the first camping trip for 2007. We've already got more planned - the next one is over 4th of July, back to Squirrel Creek. Wahoo!!

No comments: